MSConfig Startup Help
MSConfig startup is a small utility built into Windows that
change which programs Windows will start when it boots up.
Changing which programs run at boot up can really change how fast a
system runs. This is especially true when you use a lot of
different software titles.
To open up the Windows
on the start button
- For Windows XP Click on run.
- Type in msconfig and hit enter.
To change startup items
- Click on the
- Look under startup items
- Click on any check mark of any program that you don't want
to start when Windows starts.
- When you're finished, close the window.
- When prompted to restart or exit without restart, click on
- After Windows boots up, make any other changes following
the same steps.
If you're unsure what you want disabled at startup, do one at
a time, reboot. If you're missing something turn it back on.
If you really want to know
what programs you are disabling
- Get the name of the
programs exe file you are unsure about, along with the first word in
- Do a search on Google for the manufacturer and
name of the exe. Often without even clicking a site, just by
your search results you will find your answer. Look below for
An example search for me is located here. As you can see
without even going into any websites, this is a motherboard program
monitoring utility made by Asus.
from MSConfig Startup to Speed Up My Computer
Personally, my startup has a virus scanner, my battery backup
utility, and a utility from my motherboard that watches my systems
temperature. The only one I would consider mandatory is your
Learn how to build your own computer